Is Aging Inevitable?
By Dr. Linda Hillebrand
Researchers have long known that one of the mechanisms involved in the aging process is the decline of our own naturally occurring hormones in the body. This decline begins in our 20s and accelerates as we age. Hormone imbalance impacts major brain and body systems. Hormones control our ability to fight disease and failing to manage hormones may lead to cancer, heart attacks, osteoporosis, strokes, diabetes and other diseases of aging. Nutritional deficiencies, lack of exercise, chronic stress and exposure to toxins can also result in hormonal changes.
Recent research suggests that replacement of natural (bio-identical) hormones may slow the aging process and treat many chronic age-related diseases. Bio-identical hormones are hormones which mimic the same chemical and molecular structure of hormones produced in the body. These hormones are plant-derived, primarily from soy and yam.
Top 5 Benefits of Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT):
1) Vitality. Hormone Replacement can increase physical and mental energy levels. It can also increase libido and improve sexual response and performance.
2) Cognitive/Brain Function. Hormone replacement has shown to increase memory, learning and other mental processes as well as improve mood and create a feeling of well being.
3) Cardiovascular Benefits. Hormone replacement reduces the risk of heart disease.
4) Bone Health. Osteoporosis is a silent disease and many times not diagnosed until a fracture occurs. Hormones can decrease if not eliminate the risk of osteoporosis.
5) Immune Function. Replacement of certain hormones can boost the immune system, help fight stress and possibly prevent some cancers.
Linda M. Hillebrand, D.O. is board certified in OB/GYN and is a diplomat of the American Board of Anti-Aging Medicine. She practices at Physio Age L.A., 2990 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 20, Los Angeles. For more information, call 310-684-3846 or visit PhysioAge.com.